Sunday, December 4, 2011

A dandelion seed drifting over landscaped lawns...

On the move - again. Yes...you read it right...I am packing up and leaving the suburbs and headed back to urban living.   The life of a renter ... not tied to anything ... I can pick up and go anytime I want and start over . I breathe a sigh of renters relief that I am not tied to a mortgage and market value - the (rough) Latin translation of mortgage is "death pledge". I recently read an article in a magazine , the writer admitting that she rents and describing her transient self as "a dandelion seed drifting over landscaped lawns." That is me... you never know where I will plant myself.

I am one of those rare people that likes to move - weird - I love sorting through my stuff and getting rid of things ... rethinking what I really need.  The whole move thing started for me in 1982 when my parents moved from Indiana to Texas... my father's new job took the family there and my mother seemed to like the idea of a change. Change is good...I have moved 17 times in 30 years.  My mother's address book has all of my addresses crossed out - she should have used a pencil !

I will admit a few things about moving this time. I love this house .  I have had the most amazing parties. It has the most amazing views.  I will miss the sunrises, sunsets and the hawks. I will even miss my crazy landlord who would bring me fresh eggs from his farm.  It has been like being on a vacation every day
(what the Helen the realtor told me when I looked at it)...but the vacation is over and it is time to get back to living!  I have spent endless days staring at the landscape and have missed being with my friends,  missed being able to jump on a train at a moments notice to go to NY, missed the energy I get from a town, missed being able to walk around the corner and get something to eat or go to a bar or listen to live music.

So here we go again... another thrifting and decorating journey ! I love the challenge of decorating a new place .  The apartment that I am moving to needed to be painted so I was able to pick out new colors and I can't wait to see what it looks like.  The place is smaller and I have been scouring magazines for ideas on how to make the most out of limited space and will take those ideas on my thrifting trips.  I can't wait to get started.

So that is the scoop.  I will take you on the decorating and thrifting journey with me... exciting !
2012 is going to be great !

1 comment:

  1. You go Ms. Meijuene:

    Love the decorating too! Can't wait to see your new place.....I know it will be just picture perfect, you have such great talent!!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete